FLAVORS OF THE ANDE
“LA TIERRA DE LOS YACHAQS – LAMAY”
(Gastronomy Tour – 5 Hours)
The villagers of the community are masters at preparing ancient Andean recipes as well as modernized takes on classic Andean fare. This savory experience will have you traveling back in time with flavors that you have never tasted before. Learn different ways of preparing and presenting dishes from a wide-range of cuisine that uses the biodiversity of the Andes. Products such as potatoes, quinoa, corn, grains and natural vegetables are the starts of this culinary exhibition. All villagers have been trained in sanitary food preparation, and the food is guaranteed to be safe. You will be explained every step of the process so you can give these recipes a try when you get back home! After the meal enjoy and participate in traditional dance and theatre performances by the villagers of the community.
- Transfer from the airport to the chosen hotel in the city of Cusco, installation and breakfast. Departure to the city of Lamay.
- Upon arrival, you will be greeted by an amazing community reception with traditional music and beautiful Incan flowers (Kantu).
- After the welcoming ceremony, you will begin the activity “Flavors of the Andes.” You will be presented an apron and taken to the communal cooking area where the activity will take place.
At first, you will see a short presentation about the various different ingredients used in Andean cuisine and what their nutritional values are. Each participant will work side-by-side with a local from Huchuy Qosqo in every step of the process.
- Then, you will get to help prepare a savory lunch that we will enjoy around 1:00, and then you will take a short break before starting on dinner. Products such as potatoes, quinoa, corn, grains and organic vegetables are the starts of this culinary exhibition. All villagers have been trained in sanitary food preparation, and the food is guaranteed to be safe.
DECODING THE ANDEAN TEXTILE
“AMARU COMMUNITY – PISAC” (5 Hours)
Experience the magic of authentic Andean weaving, from the shearing process of the llamas and sheep all the way to the final product, the vivid colors of the clothing worn by the villages of Amaru come from natural dyes extracted from plants and other organic elements. The weavers create fantastic geometric shapes that enclose ancient Inca codes. The communities knit their identity, customs and desires – creating a conversation with them by means of visual patterns. The Amaru villagers will teach you how to speak this language through textiles as you build your own design with their help.
- After breakfast, we will go to the city of Pisac and finally we will arrive to the city of Amaru where you will be greeted by an amazing community reception with traditional music and beautiful Incan flowers (kantu). After the welcoming ceremony, you will begin “Decoding the Andean Textile” this starts with an explanation of all the different organic materials use to make the natural dyes – which plants they come from, what is their symbolism, and what other uses they have (many have medicinal qualities as well). The second activity is the shearing, cleaning and the coiling of the sheep or alpaca wool that is used in textiles – followed by a demonstration of how the wool is dyed by boiling. The iconography that is used in the textiles is extremely important to the villagers of Amaru – and through the duration of this activity, a local guide will explain the most important motives of each symbol that is weaved in the textile. Once the demonstration is concluded, you will get the chance to purchase beautiful, local textile all locally made and authentically (table runners, scarfs, purses, belts, bracelets, etc.).
- After, you will have an amazing lunch consisting of local cuisine prepared fresh with local ingredients.
- Return to the city of Cusco.